Not in the mood for bread-y stuff? I feel that way sometimes too. So I turn my meals into massive salads instead. It allows you to be even more generous with the veggies since nothing risks falling out of the bread. The method here: slather some of the mayo at the bottom of your plate, using a spoon. Then pile all the veggies, tempeh, pour the marinade or pomegranate molasses on top, and garnish with herbs, scallions, and sesame seeds.
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) reduced-sodium tamari;
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) pomegranate molasses;
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) roasted pistachio oil, roasted or regular peanut oil, or olive oil;
- 1 to 2 tablespoons (15 to 30 ml) harissa paste, to taste;
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) apple cider vinegar;
- 1 pound tempeh (454 g, aka two 8-ounce rectangles), each cut lengthwise into 4 smaller rectangles;
- Nonstick cooking spray or oil spray.
- In a 9 x 13-inch (23 x 33-cm), whisk to combine tamari, molasses, oil, harissa paste, and vinegar. Place the tempeh in the marinade, cover, and allow to marinate overnight. Be sure to flip the tempeh occasionally so that every side gets marinated well.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C, or gas mark 5). Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Remove tempeh from marinade, and place on parchment paper. (If there is leftover marinade, transfer it to a small bowl, cover and reserve to dress the pita breads.)
- Lightly coat the tempeh with spray. Bake the tempeh for 8 minutes, flip the tempeh, and lightly coat the other side with spray. Bake for another 8 minutes. Remove from the oven, place on a cooling rack, and let cool to room temperature. Once cooled, cut into thin slices.
- 1/2 cup (114 g) vegan mayo;
- 2 tablespoons (32 g) tahini paste;
- 1 large clove garlic, grated;
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) lemon juice;
- Coarse kosher salt, to taste.
Whisk all ingredients in a small bowl, and combine thoroughly. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- 8 vegan pita breads, toasted;
- 1 recipe Tahini Mayo (see above);
- Thinly sliced yellow cabbage;
- Thinly sliced bell pepper;
- Halved baby tomatoes;
- Thinly sliced cucumber;
- 1 recipe Moroccan Tempeh (see above);
- Pomegranate molasses;
- Fresh parsley, chopped;
- Fresh mint, chopped (optional);
- Scallions, thinly sliced;
- Roasted sesame seeds.
Grab a toasted pita bread. Apply a layer of tahini mayo on top of the bread, or cut the bread to apply inside. Cover (or stuff) with a handful of cabbage, bell pepper, tomatoes, and cucumber. Add tempeh to taste. Top with a drizzle of leftover tempeh marinade, or pomegranate molasses. Top with parsley, mint if using, scallions, and sesame seeds. Repeat with remaining pita breads. Serve immediately.