If you have been following A Chica Bakes for some time, there’s a few things you know about me – I adore cookies, have a thing for brunch, have some adorable taste testers and have a long-lasting (never-ending) love affair with coconut. Oh – and one more thing – I have probably stated like a good 486 times that I do not like chocolate. (Make that now 487.)
Yet chocolate has not just one but a few permanent storage spots in my apartment (note that I didn’t say kitchen as I have a stash in the linen closet). And on any given day you can find it in multiple forms at my place – chips, chunks, powder and bars. I find myself baking with chocolate more and more and even turning into a bit of a chocolate snob. Only the best will go into my treats and this chica will settle for nothing less.
That’s because I’m in denial! No matter how many flavors, I have always been a die-hard vanilla girl. Just like my NKOTB crush will always and forever be Donnie. But there is no denying that chocolate is pretty delish and kinda sexy (just like that darn Jordan).
And this cake is certainly sexy, in that understated, you’re only wearing lip gloss and mascara with a perfectly messy bun sexy. Or that Jennifer Beals off the shoulder sweatshirt sexy. When you look at this cake, nothing out right calls your name. But it has that perfectly imperfect look about it that keeps you from looking the other way.
After that first bite you’ll close your eyes and just savor if for a moment. This cake looks dense but is surprisingly light and flavorful. And will be enough chocolate goodness to win over even the biggest of chocolate skeptics. Enough treats like this one and I may even go as far as saying I’m a chocolate lover. For now, though, all I will say is that I love this cake.
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter;
- 1 cup dark chocolate chunks;
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar;
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder;
- 4 large eggs;
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract;
- Generous pinch of kosher salt.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Coat the inside of a 9-inch round cake pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the chocolate chunks and remove from the heat; let sit until the chunks have melted (about 1 minutes) and whisk. Meanwhile, combine the sugar and cocoa in a medium bowl. Make a well in the mixture and add the eggs, vanilla and salt and whisk to combine. Add the chocolate/butter mixture and whisk until fully incorporated.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan, place in the oven and bake for about 1 hour or until set. Remove from the oven and cool completely before inverting onto a larger plate to serve.
Gorgeous cake! I love that you got a NKOTB reference in there 🙂 It makes up for the fact that you are a suspicious character for not liking chocolate! 😉