When we are craving pasta but I still want to keep things on the healthier side, I always always go for SPICY ARRABBIATA SAUCE and lately we have been hooked on Barilla’s Lentil pasta (NOT SPONSORED IN ANY WAY. WE BOTH JUST LOVE THIS PASTA!). If you have been following me for sometime, you might know that ronak is a picky taste-tester and after hating almost all the healthy chickpea, lentil pastas, this is the only one he loved and to my surprise he liked it so much that somedays when working late nights, he even made himself a bowl of this lentil pasta!! So you know this pasta is good since it’s Ronak approved!
Funny story – While we were on our trip to Rome (I think we were there for a week), this was the ONLY SAUCE pasta I would order every single night! We had this small Italian restaurant near our hotel and he made the best spicy arrabbiata sauce pasta!! I mean so good!
Arrabbiata means angry sauce which is true as this spicy sauce is made with tomatoes, garlic, spicy chili flakes in olive oil. Seriously delish and way healthier pasta sauce than any regular sauces.
Healthy Spicy Arrabbiata Lentil Pasta
Recipe type: Main
Serves: 2-3 servings
Serves: 2-3 servings
- 2 Tbsp Olive oil;
- 7-8 garlic cloves, chopped fine;
- (1/2-3/4) cup onion, finely chopped;
- Chili flakes ( as per taste, for a spicy arrabbiata sauce start with 2 tsp chili flakes and add more as needed);
- Finely chopped tomatoes in a can ( I am loving Pomi brand finely chopped tomatoes), 26.46 oz or 750 gms ( Or you use any brand you like) ( If using fresh finely chopped tomatoes, it will take double the time to cook the sauce);
- Salt to taste;
- 2 tsp black pepper;
- 2 tsp basil powder;
- ¼ tsp oregano;
- Pinch rosemary;
- 1-2 tsp sugar;
- ¾ cup shredded parmesan cheese;
- Bunch of fresh basil leaves, finely chopped (if available);
- Barilla Red Lentil Pasta or pasta of choice (8 oz).
- Cook pasta as per package directions. Once cooked, save ½ cup pasta water. Strain pasta and add few tsp of olive oil and stir so pasta doesn’t clump up while sitting.
- In a deep heavy bottom pan, add 2 tbsp olive oil. Once hot, add garlic and chili flakes. Cook for few minutes and then add onions. Saute until translucent. Add tomatoes along with spices – salt, black pepper, basil powder,oregano, rosemary, fresh basil leaves and sugar. Mix and simmer the sauce for 7-10 minutes. If the sauce feels thick, add that saved pasta water.
- Taste and adjust if need to.
- Add ½ cup parmesan and mix. Add pasta and mix again until sauce coats the pasta.
- Serve with more parmesan on top.