One of the best ways to quickly use up ripe bananas is banana bread. And in this particular recipe buckwheat flour gives a very nice and nutty flavor to it. If you can’t find buckwheat flour, try making it yourself. Grind raw buckwheat in a high-speed blender or a coffee grinder. Since this recipe uses buckwheat and oat flour the banana bread turns out to be gluten free too!
- 1/2 cup rolled oats;
- 1/2 cup oat flour;
- 1 cup buckwheat flour;
- 1/4 cup brown sugar;
- 1/2 tbsp baking soda;
- 1/2 tbsp cinnamon;
- a pinch of salt;
- 3 ripe bananas;
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flax seed + 3 tbsp water);
- 1 cup plant-based milk.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Combine dry ingredients (flour, oats, sugar, cinnamon, baking soda and salt).
- Mash up the bananas (or blend them up in a blender).
- Combine wet ingredients (bananas, flax egg and milk).
- Mix together wet and dry ingredients.
- Check if done with a wooden pick after 20 – 25 mins. If the inside is still raw, but the crust is done – cover with foil and continue baking for up to 35 minutes.