Sometimes, you just gotta add spice. My little sister delivered this christmas with six little containers of salt, spice and
everything nice green pepper. One such little box contained berbere.
Not knowing what it was, I threw it in a mix of onions, garlic, peppers, tomatoes, and black eyes peas. what could go wrong? Absolutely nothing, because NOW i know that berbere is the ethiopian spice mix that contains cinnamon, ginger, paprik, fenugreek, and more. basically, it kicks up any sort of simple soup.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil;
- 1 huge yellow onion;
- 4 cloves garlic;
- 2 bell peppers, colors optional;
- 1 tablespoon berbere;
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika;
- 1/2 c white wine or beer or …;
- 1 can diced tomatoes with juice;
- 4 c vegetable broth;
- 2 c cooked black eyed peas;
- 2 tablespoons adobo from chipotle;
- salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat oil in large pot. Sauté onion until translucent. Add minced garlic and sauté until soft. Add pepper and spices. Sauté 2 mins. Deglaze with wine.
- Add tomatoes and broth and bring to boil. Reduce to simmer and blend half the soup with a blender. Add peas and return to a boil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with sliced green onions and a dollop of Greek yogurt.